Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Dermalogica Vs Proactiv

Hello Everyone,

Having problems with acne? Feeling self conscious? Everyone deals with acne at least one point in their life, unless they are the few who are lucky. For me, I started having acne problems when I was in middle school going to high school. The annoying place that I would have it is on my forehead. It wouldn't be one or two pimples, it would be a cluster of 5-6 pimples. Also, when I was younger, I love popping them especially when I am bored in class. Gross, I know. Even though people tell me to stop, your fingers are dirty, it's going to make it worse, etc.... I couldn't help it.

I got to a point where I just want them to go away. I heard about Proactiv and I really really want to try it so I paid $19.99 a month for them with a special deal I saw on QVC. This was years ago when it first came out and before it started to get popular.

After using Proactiv for 2 months, I saw my acne clearing up. In 3 months, I was pimple free. This product works for my skin, but I also heard that it may not work for others. After using it for a year, I kinda stopped, and I haven't gotten such bad acne problem since then. I do still get pimples here and there but just not as bad.

Proactiv is a simple system to use. It is just 3 steps- a Renewing cleanser, Revitalizing Toner, and Repairing lotion. I use to think there is nothing else that I would want to use besides Proactiv for my pimples, but after trying out Dermalogica.... wow, it blew me away.

It may look more complicated than it is because there are so many bottles to choose from. I will go into that later in the blog. First, I love the packaging. I ordered this when they had a free giveaway of the bag shown below and in addition a free bottle of the Bedtime for Breakouts. The Bedtime for Breakouts was the main reason I ordered it because I heard so much good things about it.


With a $35 purchase of the travel size kit, I got the two items mentioned above for free.

I will go over the Clean Start kit first. Inside the bag there are 5 products.

This is the back of the bag that has all the products listed.

Inside there is a small booklet about how the company got started and what products they have. Dermalogica Clean Start originated in LA, California and their packaging is either recyclable, photo-degradable, or biodegradable. They also don't do testing on animals.


It comes with a bottle for Wash Off which is a shower gel that helps take on breakout-causing dirt on face, body, back, etc... The spray bottle is something I also enjoy using after I wash my face. It helps control shine and keep breakouts away. All the products do not contain any artificial fragrance or color so it's good for those who are allergic or just don't like products with scents.

The next two products are Moisturizer with Oil Control SPF 15 and Bedtime for Breakouts. The moisturizer help matifies your face so it's not to shiny if you have oily skin. I have normal to oily skin which is why it is a good product for me to use underneath my makeup. The Bedtime for Breakouts is my favorite because that is what helps get rid of your pimples.

If you can only buy one item from this line, it would be the Beditme for Breakouts. Again, my purchase came with one in the travel kit and also I got a regular size bottle for free.



The product is a clear gel and I recommend you to just apply it to the area that is a problem. Don't rub this all over your face. Wash your face and apply this to your pimples before you go to bed. By the next morning, you should see the pimple flatten out against your skin. It doesn't have the bump that you can see even with your makeup on. I have tried it on a pimple that I have on my chin and after 6 hours, I feel like it has gotten better.

Pimples always come in the worse time and by dabbing a little of this the day before definitely will help reduce the appearance of it the next day.

The last product in the kit is the Ready, Set, Scrub. This is sort of like your facial scrub that helps scrub away clogging dead skin cells and controls shine.

All-in-all, I am loving these products. I believe it is more expensive than proactiv which is a CON for me, but Dermalogica did win me over with their packaging and I do feel that their products are more fit for my skin. Not to say that Proactiv did not help me with my acne because it did, I feel Dermalogica Clean Start is better for my skin now.

Acne problems can be a serious issue and can affect a person's confidence level. These two are great treatments for acne, it just depends on how your skin reacts to it. The main active ingredient for all acne products is the salicyclic acid. For Dermalogica, order the travel size so you can try all the products first to see if you like it and go from there.

Have a nice night!
<3 <3 <3

3 comments:

  1. Hi,
    this site is very good site.i really enjoy this site & known it is very useful for us...Keep up the great work!
    Dermalogica

    ReplyDelete
  2. Proactive did not work for my acne at all!! Read this article - I had the same experience with Proactive. Totally sucks http://www.styzzz.com/proactiv-ugly-truth-proactiv-sucks/

    ReplyDelete