Thursday, June 23, 2011

Wearing glasses can be fun!

Hello Everyone,

Wearing glasses is not that bad. I remember when I was younger, I thought glasses were cool. Even though most people would think it's embarrassing because they don't want to be called "Four Eyes" when they were younger, I was the opposite. I really wanted a pair of pink glasses and I remember my optometrist telling me I don't need it just yet. When he told me this, I was mad. My brother got a pair and I didn't. So, I purposely read in the dark and try to stare at the sun for as long as I can to make my eyes worse than it is. I know those were things that your parents will tell you not to do.... trust me, don't do it. I give up after doing this for two days and just to mention I was in middle school during this time.

So, after two years during my annual eye exam, the optometrist finally said, "your daughter needs a pair of glasses." Woohoo!! I was excited to pick out my glasses. At this time, I was graduating from middle school and I didn't want the pink frame anymore. I saw a lavender metal frame and that's the one I end up getting. Back then, the circle metal frames used to be shizzz! Then, during the last year of high school I decided to get contacts, but still have a pair of glasses on the side. Yes, I did get tired of my glasses after a while, like everyone else, and also because I was active in sports, contacts work much better for me.

As I have gotten older, I start seeing glasses as a part of an accessory. I still love my contacts because I feel that it gives me better peripheral vision, but I would always keep a pair of glasses on the side. I was a General Manager for LensCrafters and have worked there for five years so I know quite a bit about glasses and how it's made. Since I have left LensCrafters for almost 6 years, I have not gotten a new pair of glasses since then.

Recently, I just got a new pair from Kaiser!!! They don't have that large of a selection as LensCrafters and if you want fashionable frames, they don't have too much varieties either. However, I was able to find one that I like and that fits well with the shape of my face. I know I blab too much so let's get some pictures in herrre.

Side view of the frame.



The first thing I like is the plastic style of the frame and the next thing I look for in a plastic frame is the nose pad. Most plastic frames do not have nose pads, but this one does!!! Love it! Yay, Asians... we don't have much of a bridge on our nose. Another great thing about this frame is that it hides the nose pad so it's not that obvious. The frame looks better if it lift your face up instead of down. The ones I have on does have a slight curve near the edge of the frame which I noticed.

After deciding on my frame, the next step is the lenses. With my prescription of -5.50 + 0.50 x 90 for both eyes. I was afraid that the lenses may look thick on the edges because it is a concave lens. There are three different choices of lens to choose from such glass (which is not the most common choice), plastic, and polycarbonate. I chose polycarbonate because they are thinner (plastic does have a thinner one called 1.67 but with my RX, I don't need that) and more durable. For polycarbonate lenses you can choose one of the following options, plain, with anti-reflective, or antireflective with scotchguard to give extra protection from scratches. For my glasses I picked polycarbonate with anti-reflective.

I should have cleaned it more.... ignore the face grease on the sides. Anti-reflective lenses help reduce reflections and you can tell if your lenses have AR when you see a rainbow coating on top. I always recommend AR on lenses because it looks so much better on.


As I have mentioned above that I was worried about the thickness of the lenses because larger lens size means thicker edges. It also depends on the cut and where your eyes are in the frame. When I got them, they didn't look bad at all.

You can see that not much of the lens is sticking out from the frame.

Now, for those who wants a little bit more information about the frame, here are the informations. I do have a wider face so I have to look at the dimension of the frame to make sure it fits my face. The number 54/16-135. What does it mean? 56 means the width of the frame which is very important for me. 16 means the distance between the two lenses... basically the nose bridge. 135 is the length of the temple. The other numbers are usually the style number for the frame.

On the other side of the temple is the brand.

I hope this helps those who are picking out glasses.

Remember, if you pick out the right style and fit, it can be fun to wear.

<3 <3 <3

1 comment:

  1. nice glasses for smart lady. better vision for better life.
    just click www.optikpikpuas.com for better vision

    ReplyDelete