Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Zhong Zi- aka Asian Rice Tamale

Hello Everyone!

Happy Tuesday! The weather is getting so much better in the Bay, starting to feel like summer. It's around the time where my mom would start making rice dumplings called Zhong Zi in Mandarin. Rice dumplings are made for the Dragon Boat Festival, which falls on the fifth day of the fifth month of the Chinese lunar calendar. This is one of my favorite food in the world, besides the million other ones.

I believe there are two version to this legend of where the origin of the rice dumpling begins. The first version is about a famous well-loved poet named Qu Yuan who drowned himself in the river and people would make rice dumpling to prevent the fish in the river from eating his body. The second legend is about people making rice dumplings to appease a dragon that lived in the river.

There are different ways that people can make Zhong Zi. I have seen sweet and salty ones, rectangular and triangular ones, pork or vegetarian filings, etc... but the main ingredient are the bamboo leaves and glutinous rice. My favorites are the salty ones that are filled with pork, chinese mushrooms, salted duck eggs, peanuts, and dried shrimp. YUM!!!

The day before my dad would tie several strings into a big knot and soak it in water over night. This is use to secure the leaves around the dumplings and to make it easier to boil.


I wish I was there when my mom was making it so I can capture the steps for all of you, but I was at work. After making the zhong zi and tying them together in batches, my dad would bring it outside to the backyard to boil them. It's all setup and ready to go!


When the water starts to boil, drop a knot full and let it cook for 1.5- 2hours.


After it's done, we hang them outside for a bit to let it cool down. Yep, the Asian way--- hanging them on a stick.


The way this is made and folded makes it look very delicate.
Now, we can take a look to make sure it is done on the inside and if it is then it's time to eat!


Once you unfold the bamboo leaves, you can smell the aroma of the pork, mushroom, and peanuts coming out this little triangular dumpling.


And the inside is like a little tasteful surprise.


This tradition has been passed down from my great grandparents to my grandparents and then to my mom. I told my mom that I want to learn how to make this so I can teach my children one day, and hopefully keep the tradition alive.

I know this is ruining my diet plan, but it only happens during certain time of the year so I will cheat a little.... BUT I am still going to run/workout as planned.

<3 <3 <3

1 comment:

  1. With bistroMD you will know that not only will you receive gourmet meals, but that every meal and every day in bistroMD's weight loss programs is balanced to bistroMD's designed nutritional platform to promote healthy diets.

    STEP 1 - Choose one of the diet plans for 5 to 7 days of entrees.
    STEP 2 - Review your menu in advance and choose the entrees you desire for each day and week.
    STEP 3 - Order your diet plan.
    STEP 4 - Your entrees are delivered to your home.

    ORDER NOW - home deliveries.

    ReplyDelete