Sunday, April 7, 2013

Cooking with Sugarcookie #16: Noodle soup with chicken and napa cabbage under $20 for 4-5 servings

Hello Everyone,

For those who are price conscious like me, here is a recipe that is under $20 and can be served to 4-5 people. It takes about 45 minutes to an hour to make. A lot of the time is spent on prepping and making the chicken broth. There is an easier way by using canned chicken broth, but I always like to use a whole chicken to make the broth and then use the meat on the chicken in the soup.

About to do some magic!

The chicken I picked up from the market is stewing chicken and it only cost $2.27. I use this mostly to make the base for the soup. Any type of chicken would work.


After washing the chicken, I put it in a large pot of water to boil for at least 30-35 minutes. Can be longer if you have the time.


After the chicken is cooked, I remove it from the pot to cool down and add:
a handful of star anise, salt (not too much), fish sauce, soy sauce, granulated sugar,  napa cabbage, fresh ginger, garlic, and green onions to complete the broth.





While the soup is still simmering, I chopped up the chicken into smaller pieces and remove the meat for later. I tossed back the bone into the broth for more flavor.


Other optional items I add to the soup are fried tofu and cilantro.



For the noodles, I like them a little thick, but any type of pho noodle will work. These noodles does not take long to cook. It only takes about 5-10 minutes to cook after the water starts to boil. Cook this separately from the broth.

Now, time to prep other items to be added after the broth is done. 
Based on your preference, either basil or mint leaves are great to add for additional flavor.

Jalapenos, of course, to add some spice.

Bean sprouts and lime

Assemble the dish by adding the noodles first, then the broth, and lastly the additional items on the plate I have above.


Tada!
Bon Appetit!

Until next time, 
stay healthy, beautiful, and inspired.

Have a great night!
<3 <3 <3

No comments:

Post a Comment