Sunday, February 19, 2012

DIY (Do It Yourself)- Cute Soap Bars

Hello Everyone,

Just a fun idea for those who like to make custom gifts for your friends, family, co-workers, or love ones.
It means so much more when you make something because you are putting the time and effort. I always envy those who are very good at it. Making your own soap is a simple and fun process.

Let's get started.
First, you will need a pack of soap- at Michael's there are a variety of different types of soap that you can pick from such as clear/solid, shea butter/Herbal, etc...
I picked up both clear and solid packs of shea butter soap bars.


Each pack comes with a big chuck of soap with little squares. Cut the soap into cubes so it makes them easier to melt.



Once I finished cutting all the clear pieces, I need a cup to put the soap in so I can place it in the microwave to heat them up.

Microwave it for 40 seconds first and if there are still big solid chunks of soap continue to heat it up 10 seconds at a time so it doesn't get too hot. Once they are melted into a liquid form.....

(Clear)

(Solid)

you can now add colors or fragrance oil. Depending on how much soap you have melted, a few drops of color will do.... more or less if you like it darker or lighter.

For the fragrance oil, I would just put in a few drops at a time until I can smell it. I picked blueberry.... yummy!

A few drops of the red color makes the clear soap look like this:

A few drops of blue color in a solid soap look like this:

Since the soap are melted, you need to quickly pour them into the molds.
The first mold I have is this long half rod shape. You can also use the molds for baking as long as they are silicone material because you would need to pop them out when they become solid.

I poured in the pink clear melted soap to fill up 1/3 of the mold and then I added a pre-made soap (long flower shaped rod) in the middle before I fill the remaining up to the top. Let it sit for 45 minutes until it becomes solid.



Similar concept with the other soaps I made, however, you can also create layers with different colors. Remember to wait until the first layer turn a bit solid, before pouring in the second layer.

Because I want different colors, I poured in the blue to fill in the design.


Then I add in whatever color I want to create the layers.


45 minutes later.....
Here is how they look like! How cute are they? And they smell so good.



Popped them out of the plastic molds....


The different color layers:




To package the soap, I used saran wrap to seal them.


With the long soap, I cut it to show the nice flower design on the inside.



As a gift, you can put them into small clear gift bags and hand them out. I used my leftover Christmas bags....

Lets see how well the soap lathers up (pretty good):

I hope you enjoyed this DIY soap bar blog. There are so many other creative ways to design your soap, but I am just showing you the most simple way to do it.

What else did I do today? I got ready and walk Mochi at Fort Funston. Such a nice day today.





Cooking with Sugarcookie: Oyster noodle soup!



No comments:

Post a Comment