Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Cooking with Sugarcookie # 10: Sweet Potato Rice Porridge

Hi Everyone,

So after I ate some solid food last night, my stomach was all bad the next morning starting at 4 am. Uggghhh! Tonight I decided to make rice porridge aka congee so my stomach will be able to digest it a little bit better. Congee is very popular in Asia and it is usually an afternoon meal. It can be made several ways and the way I like to eat mine is to make it not too watery or pasty.

The rice and water alone is too dull so I like to add sweet potatoes for the sweetness and also for more color. More surprises are added in the porridge as I continued to cook.....
Now let's begin!

I am using 2 cups of rice. For every one cup, make sure you add 8 cups of water.
See the cloudiness of the water.... we want to make sure we wash the rice enough until the water is clear. I understand that some people don't want to rinse the rice because it has a lot of vitamins, minerals, and irons so it's up to you. I have always been taught to rinse the starch and dirt away so the rice can cook evenly.

Add 16 cups of water
Let it cook under medium fire.... probably takes 10 minutes for it to start bubbling.
While the rice is cooking.... I start prepping the veggies and other things I would like to add in my porridge.  Here I chopped the asparagus into 4 sections.

Finely chopped up some parsley. Nothing can go wrong with parsley...
 Minced some ginger.
Then I decided I want some seafood in my porridge so I added some fish balls to the mix. I cut the fish balls into 1/4... so they are big enough to taste and small enough for me to digest.


I go back to check on my rice... it's getting there so I want to make sure I add my sweet potatoes in now so it can be soft by the time the rice is ready.

I have a medium size sweet potato.....
 Remove the skin.
Slice it into big chucks. It will take longer to cook, but I want to taste the sweet potatoes while I am eating so that's why I don't like to cut it too small.

 Dump it ALL into the porridge and let it cook in low heat until the sweet potatoes are soft.


While that is cooking, I am going to chop up some green onions
After the sweet potatoes gets soft enough to bite into, I added my fish balls

Then my asparagus. YUMMM!!!! All that flavor smells sooooo good.

For seasoning, I want to keep it simple. I add some salt and a slight amount of soy sauce. In the end I would top it off with some black pepper.
In addition to my porridge, I enjoy eating the black preserved eggs (aka Thousand year old egg) that most people find disgusting. It is an acquired taste because of the smell. I grew up eating it so it doesn't bother me at all. With the eggs, I added soy sauce and some ginger.


That's my meal for tonight.... I should just stick with the porridge because my stomach is weak right now... but I had to have the eggs.... it pairs up perfectly with the porridge like white on rice.

I will just have to see what happens in the morning..... =)...... *crossing my fingers*

<3 <3 <3

2 comments:

  1. That looks really good! I've been obsessed with sweet potatoes recently. Healthier than plain potatoes too!

    Check out my blog :)
    http://iamjewelz.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jewelz, you have a great blog going!! Love it!

    ReplyDelete