Sunday, December 19, 2010

Cooking with Sugarcookie #6: Turkey gizzards and fresh steamed fish!

Hi Everyone,

I hope all of you had a great weekend. In today's blog, I like to show some of the dishes that I made last week and just a warning that the food may not be appealing to some people. I said this before and I will say it again, I eat everything and spare nothing when it comes to food. I have bought some turkey gizzards over Thanksgiving and I didn't get a chance to cook it until last week. I usually cook gizzards in soup because it helps soften the chewiness of it, but this time I decided to bake it in the oven to give it more flavor.

First, wash the gizzards, chop up one large onion, and season them with salt and pepper. Let it bake in the oven at 350 for 20-25 minutes.


 
With the meal, I needed a vegetable dish so I decided to cook Chinese mustard. Start with washing the vegetable and then dicing up 3-4 cloves of garlic to add into the frying pan.




After, the vegetable is cooked, transfer it onto a plate to be mixed with the rice later on. Since there are leftover rice, I went ahead and made egg fried rice.  Begin with adding oil to the pan and then wait 2 minutes for the pan to get hot before adding the rice into it.
 When the rice is browned up, crack 4 eggs into a bowl and mix it really well before adding it to the rice in the pan. In here I would add the some basic seasonings such as sugar and salt.



Once, the egg is cooked and mixed well with the rice, add the vegetables back in.

The turkey gizzards are also ready!

Here is a plated dish of what I made a week ago.... quick and simple (just a side note that the gizzards did turned out to be a bit more chewy than usual when it is baked so I suggest you boil it first before baking it).


The other dish is fresh steamed catfish that I bought the same day from an Asian Supermarket. The catfish was alive when I picked it out from the tank and the person that was helping me hammered it to death. Real shit! I find it intriguing to watch.... I am kinda weird like that. So, when you do buy fresh fish, it is best to cook it that same day. 

When I got home, I cleaned the fish and put it on a plate with some salt seasoning and then put it into the steamer. To add fresh flavors, I sliced up some gingers and green onions. Being Asian, you have to cook with the head still on (whiskers and everything) because that is also the best part. 




I like to use a steamer because you don't need any grease and it makes the food taste so much better by keeping the flavors inside. You can buy steamers anywhere, but I find it cheaper to buy it at an Asian supermarket. The one I have is a 3 tier, but I took one out because all I need is to steam the fish. You can also use this to steam Chinese buns, dim sums, vegetables, etc... After filling the bottom of the steamer with water, I just stacked the pan with the fish on top.



Let it steam for 25-30 minutes and it is ready to eat! Look at the meat, it is very fresh and it melts in your mouth like butter. It is also very healthy for you!


Enjoy!

Bon appetit!
<3 <3 <3

No comments:

Post a Comment