Thursday, December 30, 2010

Cooking with Sugarcookie #7: Baked quail and miso salmon soup

Hi Everyone,

I baked some quails and made some miso salmon soup a few nights ago that I would like to share with you. Again, I was at the Asian market and I was there just to look for some Salmon fish bones..... just as a side note, if you cannot afford to buy Salmon meat, this is the next best thing. You can say it's a poor man's way of substituting for something more expensive. So, while I was waiting for my number to show up on the screen (if you are Asian you know what I am talking about.... if not, it is a number you pull from a ticket dispenser that indicates who they need to service next) I saw the frozen quails and I had to buy them. The quails are good for you because of the less fat content. The breast is where the majority of the meat lies which is only 70 calories and the rest are the bones.

Let's start cooking.....

Baked Quails:
1) Take the quails out of the packaging and wash them thoroughly.
2) Then place them on large sheet of aluminum foil
Look, it's like a whole army of them lined up..... =)
I don't know how to put this but.... spread their legs open like this. Sometimes I like to add stuffings inside, but this time I didn't get around to doing that. 
3) At this point, I like to turn the oven to 375 degrees and start making the marinating sauce to rub on the quails.
4) Sauce: squeeze half a lemon, add 2-3 tablespoons of water, and 3 tablespoons of brown sugar.
5) Stir until the sugar dissolves.

6) Rub the sauce all over the quails
7) Add salt, pepper, and garlic powder on top
8) Chop some green onions to add more flavor.

  9) Stick the tray into the oven for 30 minutes.... maybe 40 minutes depending on how dark you like it to be.

While that is baking, I decided to steam some pork and chinese spinach mini buns that I have also picked up from the Asian market. Using my steamer, I placed each bun an inch apart and leave it in there for 10-15 minutes. I should have use a parchment paper underneath the buns because once it is steamed, the buns tend to stick onto the pan.

The quail is done and the buns are steamed..... here is the finished product.


I also made made soup that day to wash everything down. 

Miso Salmon soup
1) Start boiling 10-12 cups of water, depending on how much soup you want. 
2) Wash the fresh Salmon fish bones
3) Slice up one whole onion
4) Smash 6-7 cloves of garlic (I love garlic so I tend to put a lot in there)





5) Once the water starts to boil, add the fish, onion, and garlic in there
6) Slice a medium firm tofu into squares

7) After adding the tofu, add 4-5 scoops of miso paste into the soup. Make sure the miso dissolves.
8) Chop some green onions and throw it in last.
 The miso turns the water brown..... and since there is salt in the miso paste I didn't add any additional salt.
I did add 2-3 teaspoon of brown sugar.
Yummy!!! I love warm soup.
This is a healthy and delicious meal!

Bon appetit!
<3 <3 <3

No comments:

Post a Comment