Thursday, December 2, 2010

Cooking with Sugarcookie #3: Ham with Pineapple and Garlic Mash Potatoes!

Hi Everyone,

It's cooking time! I bought a ham over Thanksgiving and I haven't cooked it since. So yesterday I was able to make baked ham and garlic mash potatoes on the side. Yummy! I love potatoes. It's a comfort food for me and I cant see myself cutting that out of my diet. Let me get straight into how I made this meal. Oh, and I also made peach jell-o with mandarin orange for dessert. Fruit and Jell-o are perfect partners so feel free to mix in any fruit with your gelatin. Check how cute it looks in a champagne glass down below.

1) I made the jello first because I have to put it in the fridge for it to solidify. As instructed on the back of the jell-o box

measure out 2 cups of cold water and 2 cups of warm water.

 Mix everything together with the sugar packet and stir with a wooden spoon until the crystals dissolved.
 Then pour it into any cute glass and drop a few fruits into the jell-o for an extra oomph!





2) Ham with Pineapple: I bought 6 pounds of bone-in ham and according to the instruction on the plastic wrapper, it takes about 2 hours to bake the ham. First, score the rind of the ham with a diamond pattern and press the cloves into the center of each diamond.

Then, I decorate the ham with pineapple rings that comes in the can. I didn't find any maraschino cherry at the supermarket so I used two toothpicks to hold the pineapples in place.


Next, I made a sauce to bast the ham so it doesn't get dry and it also helps turn the ham into a nice golden brown color. The sauce is made up of pineapple juice from the can, 1/2 cup of brown sugar, and some dab of lemon juice.


Here is the ham after 2 hours of being in the oven


3) Garlic Mash Potatoes
First, wash the potatoes and peel off the skin. Then cut the potatoes into small squares so it can cook faster.


Then boil the water and add 2 tablespoons of Kosher salt.
After 15 minutes, the potatoes should be soft enough for you to poke a fork through them.


Use a potato masher for the potatoes and then add 3-4 tablespoons of butter (I had 6 medium size potatoes) and cut up 6-7 cloves of garlic or you can add 2 tablespoons of garlic that comes in a jar. I always like to add more garlic in my potatoes, but it is all up to you. Then add ground black pepper on top to give it a little bit more flavor.


Here is a plated dish of everything I made! Just add some cranberries on the side to eat with your ham.

Bon appetit!
<3 <3 <3

No comments:

Post a Comment