Sunday, November 21, 2010

Cooking with Sugarcookie: #2 -Scallops, longyard bean, and white rice!

Hi Everyone,

Thanksgiving is almost here and I need to start thinking about what to make. From my past experiences, the best way to learn how to cook is by trying it yourself. I have been cooking since I was in high school. I remember coming home from school and helping my mom in the kitchen. She would make me descale a fish (it can get pretty messy in the kitchen because the scales just fly everywhere. Sometimes I find them in my hair), gut the fish, chop the chicken, de-skinned the squid, wash the vegetables, cook the rice, pull the hairs off from the chicken's ass (yep, we want no hair in our food), etc... As you can see I eat everything and waste nothing.

Usually I would cook 3-4 days out of the week. I have always grew up eating at home and rarely do we go out to eat.  Ever since I moved out (which was a while ago), it's difficult for me to cook for just one person. So every time I do cook, all my dishes are for 2-3 people and I would end up eating it for the next 2 days.  

Anyways, here is a simple dish that I cooked a few days ago that can done in 30 minutes.

1) Rice: I washed 2 cups of rice and put in the rice cooker ( I love that thing). Back then, my parents would cook it on the stove and you have to watch it to make sure it doesn't get burnt.

2) Scallops: I bought 1 - 1 1/4 pounds of dry sea scallops. I rinse the scallops with cold water and pat it dry with a paper towel. This is to absorb the water so the scallops can be easily seared in the pan.



With these scallops, I am going to cook it with 2 tablespoon of butter and flavored them with salt and pepper.



Once the fat begins to smoke in the pan, gently add the scallops, making sure they are not touching each other.


Sear the scallops for 1-2 minutes on each side. The scallops should have 1/4  inch golden crust on each side.


Look how nice and hot they are. YUM-O!

3) Longyard bean: I need a plate of vegetable with my meal so I decided to cook the bean with salt and garlic. First you want to wash the beans and cut them up into 1/3 because they are so long.


I drizzled some olive oil and sauteed the garlic until medium brown and then add the longyard beans in the pan. I didn't wash the pan after cooking the scallops because I want some of the butter that was in the pan to add more flavor onto the vegetables.

Here is my dish in 30 minutes!

 Bon appetit!
<3 <3 <3

No comments:

Post a Comment