Monday, November 29, 2010

Delish Mochi Balls!

Hi Everyone,

A month ago I found a place in the tenderloin district located in San Francisco that sells bomb-ass mochi balls.  The place is called Lee's Sandwiches and it is located across the street from Turtle Tower.  This is a sandwich franchise that sells Vietnamese Bahn Mi for $3 which is pretty cheap and tasty, however, there are other Vietnamese deli's that do taste better. The good thing about them is that they are very consistent.
I don't really going there for the sandwiches (maybe sometimes) but I do go there mainly for their prepacked mochi balls. It comes in a pack of 4 and I think there are 4-5 different fillings (red bean, black sesame, coconut, strawberry, and I forget what the last one is).  The mochi balls are not made by Lee's Sandwiches they just sell it there. It is a bakery called Huy Ky that is located in San Diego and has been in business for 25 years.  You are probably wondering how did I come across buying mochi balls from Lee's Sandwiches ...... well, one day I was having a huge craving for mochi balls and since I go to Turtle Tower quite often, I thought maybe they do sell mochi's here. I was so happy to see that they do and decided to give it a try. What do you know..... I fell in love with them..... I have tried different types of mochi's and  these are just soooo good. Once you bite into it, it has a nice soft, chewy,  and sweet, consistency that just melts in your mouth...... I don't know about you, but I am drooling already..... Yum-o!

I am talking about mochi balls, not those wanna be mochi ice cream balls. I am not a fan of Mochi Ice Cream Balls because I don't find the outer layer chewy enough and it's mainly a ball of ice cream (which is good, don't get me wrong), but it just doesn't taste like the authentic mochi's (You know what I mean.... I think).

 Even though these pre-packed mochi balls are not as good as the freshly made ones, they are close enough. I know there are some out there that are really dry in the middle or the dough is too chewy or there is too much corn starch packed on top..... this on the other hand, is just right. My favorites are the azuki bean (red bean) AND.....


the black sesame ones.... They are $1.50 for a pack of 4.


I am Taiwanese and we are also known to make good mochi balls besides the Japanese. Another type of mochi that I like is the ones they have on top of the shaved ice..... those are my absolute favorite! The mochi balls that they have on top of froyos have nothing on these babies here. I can only show you pictures because I haven't found a place in the city that I like..... I know there is a place in LA, but the ones in Taiwan are awesome!

HOLY SHIIITT Look at these desserts.....


The cream and pink balls here are the ones that I am talking about.....
I would die to find a place in the city that serves GOOD shaved ice with freshly made mochi balls......

Drooling***** 
<3 <3 <3

No comments:

Post a Comment